Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dreams of Steel - Part 11

I really wish that there was a word more common than "lass" for a young woman.  It just doesn't feel right to me, and it is the only possible word that I can think of for "la joven" in this situation.  Thus, I skipped the word altogether and changed it to "her."

In other news, there is only one more post left in this section, then the story will finally move on.  Yay!!


----------------


Kratos turned to continue shaving.  Meanwhile, Shayre ran her nails over his shoulders, toying with the scar that the corueco’s claws had left and which ran from one ear to the other end of his clavicle.  She returned to changing the subject, like a weather vane that knows deep down where it wants to end up pointing.

"You know what they say out there?  Nalobas, Hairón’s doctor, has disappeared."

"I had no idea."

"Someone told me they saw him leave by the Áinar gate two nights ago.  He was taking a heavily laden mule and his saddlebags jingled.  It seems that he was in a big hurry to leave Mígranz.”

"What are you insinuating?" Kratos asked, turning to her.

"There are some who think that the doctor had something to do with Hairon’s death..."

"What would Nalobas gain from killing Hairón?"

"Him, money.  The person who paid him...  There is someone who has already benefited from it."

"Do not say any names."

Shayre kissed him again, but this time she lingered longer.  Kratos again thanked the gods that the waist of his concubine was so warm and narrow, and her mouth so juicy.

"Kratos," she whispered, moving away and looking at him with those eyes so black and round.  "You must flee Mígranz.  He hates you, and he won’t stop until he has destroyed you."

"Why would he hate me?"

"You know very well.  You're better than him.  Although you would swear him fealty and not compete for the Sword, he only need look at you to remember that he is inferior.  He has dared to kill Hairón.  You think he will hesitate to kill you?  Run!"

Kratos smiled sadly.

"And leave you here?  Will you seek another captain that offers you handsome gifts?"

She dug her nails into his back.

"You must treat me like a decent woman..."

"Since when have you been one, my princess?"

"Since I have been with you no other man he has put a finger on me."

"Forgive me, I..."

"Chsss!  I'm going to ask you something."

"Whatever you want."

"I want you to take me with you."

"You don’t know what you’re saying."

She covered his mouth.

"I have not gone mad."  She smiled affectionately.  "You're a great warrior and you'll soon find another lord to serve.  You'll be back to winning gold and offering me beautiful gifts...  I have patience."

This was not the moment to say anything more.  Kratos took her by the waist, ready to throw her over his shoulder, take her to the bed and let their bodies finish waking up together.  But then her expression froze and her eyes went wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment